Hunter fans are a reliable and efficient way to cool your home during the summer, but what happens when you want to change the direction of your fan? Ceiling fans can be effectively used to move warm air down during cold months, so if you want to use your ceiling fan during winter, you will need to reverse the fan direction. To ensure that you’re making the right decision for your home, read this article until the end.
There are different ways to change a Hunter fan’s direction:
- Find the reverse switch on the fan body for pull chain fans and slide it in the opposite direction.
- Change the direction for a Hunter fan with a remote using a push button reverse option.
- For Hunter’s SIMPLEconnect Wi-Fi smart fan, you can reverse the direction through a remote, the SIMPLEconnect app, or your smart home device.
In this article, I’ll cover some of the most common ways to change the direction of a Hunter fan with a step-by-step guide, so keep reading!
1. Using a reverse switch
If your Hunter fan doesn’t come with a remote, you will have to change the fan’s direction manually. It is a simple process to follow:
- Take all safety precautions before reaching up to the fan. Turn off the fan’s switch. Arrange a high enough chair or ladder to reach the fan comfortably.
- Locate the fan’s reverse switch on the fan’s motor housing near the light. The location of this switch may vary depending on the fan’s model.
- Flick the switch in the opposite direction to reverse the rotation.
- Turn on the fan to confirm that the direction has been reversed.
2. Using Pull chain
Hunter fans have two pull chains. One is for controlling the fan speed from high to turning off, while the second pull chain is for turning the light on or off. Hunter fan’s pull chain cannot be used to reverse the fan direction. You have to change the direction manually or through the remote.
3. Using a remote control
You will need to set up the remote to use it with your Hunter fan. Changing the direction of a Hunter fan with remote control is pretty straightforward. You can change the direction of most Hunter fans using the push button reverse option. However, some models may have a little bit of a different procedure.
Follow these steps:
- On the remote, press the fan button and hold it for a few seconds.
- You will know the reverse is successful when the light on the control blinks.
Please refer to this video for reversing the direction of your Hunter fan:
Do all fans come with remote control?
Not every fan has a remote control, but most fans have this option. Some fans will have only remote control as the primary option for controlling different functions, while others have it as an extra option along with a pull cord or wall control. There are many perks of having a remote control fan, but everyone has different requirements, so a remote control may not provide a solution for each of your needs.
4. Voice assistants
Hunter’s SIMPLEconnect ceiling fans are smart fans that can be controlled with various smart apps using Wi-Fi. You can change fan direction using voice commands with different apps, e.g., Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, etc.
To use voice commands, you will need to pair your SIMPLEconnect fan with the app that you intend to use. I share a step-by-step guide to reverse Hunter’s smart fan direction using Amazon Alexa. Follow these steps:
- Before pairing your smart fan with Alexa, disable all other SIMPLEconnect fans.
- Download the SIMPLEconnect app and pair your handheld remote with the fan.
- Open settings in the SIMPLEconnect app and connect to your home Wi-Fi.
- Sign in to your Amazon account and add your accessory by scanning the setup code found at the back of your remote cover.
- Connect your SIMPLEconnect app with Amazon Alexa through settings.
- Now you are set up to use voice commands to control your fan. Use the command “Alexa, change fan direction,” which will change your fan direction.
Watch this video on how to pair your SIMPLEconnect Wi-Fi app with Amazon Alexa:
Where is the reverse switch on a Hunter ceiling fan
Reverse switch placement on a Hunter ceiling fan depends on the model. In newer models, you can find the reverse switch inside the bowl-shaped light fixture directly above or below the light bulbs. Older models may have the reverse switch on top of the fan motor housing cover near the screws. Either way, it’s easy to locate the reverse switch by looking for a plastic lever with a hook design. Ensure that your fan is turned off when you are touching it.
When to reverse the Hunter fan direction
Hunter fans come with an option to reverse the rotation of the blades, providing you with two airflow directions. Using a ceiling fan all year around helps keep a uniform temperature in the room, which makes the HVAC system perform more efficiently, thus saving energy.
To take advantage of the reverse function of your Hunter fan, you should understand when to change the fan’s direction and how it helps create a comfortable environment.
In summer, the fan blades need to move from right to left or counterclockwise to push the air down for a comfortable, breezy feel. It will help to keep the room temperature consistent, and you will not need to keep the air conditioning on all the time.
For winter, you need to change the direction of the blades to spin from left to right or clockwise so the fan can push warm air collected near the ceiling can be pushed down. It will help the room feel warmer, and you will not have to crank up the thermostat for extra heating.
Further reading: Ceiling fan directions for summer and winter
I hope this post has all the information to help answer any of your questions about changing the direction of a ceiling fan. If you are still struggling with your decision, I recommend rereading this post. The decisions you make regarding changing your fan’s direction with the season and how to change it will impact the style and comfort in your home for years to come.